25 / 09 / 2018
UK vs US

Welcome to the Daily Vitamin, everyone! I hope that you had a nice long weekend (for those of you that had Monday off). 

This week, we are looking at some vocabulary differences between standard British and American English. It is common to have different words to describe the same thing in different dialects. One is not more or less correct, but it's best to use the word that corresponds to the dialect of the place that you are in, to avoid miscommunication. You know the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Today we are looking at LIFT (UK) vs. ELEVATOR (US). 

Definition: The apparatus that moves people or things to different floors of a building. 

Americans generally say ELEVATOR and the British say LIFT.

Which do you usually use? If we're living in Europe, should we be using LIFT instead of ELEVATOR? Give us your opinion on our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZigguratEscuelaCorporativadeIdiomas/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZigguratIdiomas

Ten years ago, we looked at many differences between British and American English. (It's hard to believe it's been 10 years!) You can read those posts at the following link:


...and the following link includes some more:


That's all for today. Tomorrow we will look at the British and American uses of the colloquial word PISSED. See you then!